I want to take a few moments to go over what I think are the pros and cons of going to grad school. It seems like more and more people are considering grad school these days. I think it is because jobs are getting way too competitive.
People just jump into grad school without weighing their options first. So here is a list of some pros and cons of grad school that you need to consider before applying.
- You will get to focus on an area that interests you. In fact, if you do a PhD, you get to only focus on one thing that interests you!!
- You will stand out among your peers after graduation. Jobs will higher you before someone with a bachelors (in most cases).
- If you are in research, you will most likely be working on a cool project that not many people even know about.
- This may cause a pretty decent advancement in your career.
- You have higher earning potential.
- After graduation, you’ll be an expert in your field.
- You get to meet some amazing and brilliant people
- You have access to all of the cool software and hardware that the college provides.
- You’re creativity will increase significantly.
- You’ll be able to make career changes a lot easier.
- Grad school is expensive.
- You will be spending even more time in school with people much younger than you.
- Grad School is mentally taxing.
- Grad school is extremely difficult.
- You will most likely have a loss of income. You are exchanging 2 to 4 years worth of income for this degree.
- When you graduate, you may not have as much work experience as someone who has been working
- You may be in school for 8 more years.
- There’s no guarantee that you will get a good job after graduation.
- You may be turned down from jobs because of “over qualification” but, I’ve never met a person that was applying to jobs below their qualification.
- You will see friends come and go while you are still working away at school.
These are a few of the most important pros and cons that you need to consider. If you are still on the fence about going, I suggest looking into more blogs about whether it is the right decision for you. A good article to read is “When is Grad School Worth It?”(link here). Also take a look at all of my blog posts about mindfulness as well as education. Those posts can help you determine whether grad school is right for you or not.