This post may contains affiliate links. For more information see disclosure at bottom of home page
Halloween is Sunday, so it’s a perfect time to blog about some cool facts that I have learned. Some of these I learned a long time ago in elementary school when learning useless facts like these was actual a thing. Now, in grad school, we have to learn about things that “matter”. I’m sorry, but knowing that the Bermuda Triangle exists and that a tomato is a fruit are pretty important, in my opinion. Anyway, Here is a list of some really interesting Halloween facts that you may or may not have known about.
1) Halloween developed out of the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain
2) The National Confectioners Association estimates that around 35 million pounds (over 15,000 metric tons) of candy corn are sold annually.
3) According to candyindustry.com, Reese’s cups are Florida’s favorite Halloween candy. Check out your states favorite.
4) The holiday was not called All Hallows Eve until 1556.
5) In Walnut Creek, California, USA, you actually need a permit to wear a mask on Halloween. They created this law to try to prevent people from causing trouble.
6)According to an old Irish legend, the practice of carving produce for Halloween comes from a man named Stingy Jack who once invited the devil for a drink.
7)Halloween is the second-most commercial American holiday of the year.
8)Candy wasn’t given out to trick-or-treaters until the 1950s
9)Skittles are America’s favorite candy.
10) The fear of Halloween is called Samhainophobia.
11) The world’s longest walk through horror house is the Dragons House of Horror in Albuquerque, NM.
12)The most lit jack o’lanterns on display is 30,581
13) Michael Myers’ mask is actually a William Shatner mask
I hope some of these facts were brand new to you. I know they were to me. Let me know in the comments other interesting Halloween facts that you know of. Also, if you haven’t already, check out my list of things that I am grateful for (link here). Have an awesome day everyone. Also, enjoy the funny video below.
Very cool facts! I didn’t know most of them- thank you for sharing!
Pingback: Happy Halloween - MINDFULNESS IN GRAD SCHOOL
Charlee: “Only California would make you get a permit to go trick-or-treating!”
Chaplin: “Fortunately we cats just go treating. No tricks involved. Well except maybe sometimes.”